Kung Po Chicken SERVES : 2 | PREPARATION TIME 5 MINUTES | COOKING TIME 9 MINUTES
KWOKLYN'S COOKING TIPS
Use a heavy bottom pan which will retain the heat.
Prep all ingredients before you start to cook.
Always make a little too much as all of these recipes will have you going back for more.
For the chicken marinade:
340g chicken breast, cut into cubes
1 tsp oil
1 tsp corn flour
1 tsp Chinese rice wine
A pinch of ground white pepper
For the sauce:
1 tbsp light soy sauce
½ tsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
3 tbsp water
1 tsp cornstarch
Remainder of ingredients:
3 tbsp oil
3 cloves garlic, smashed and sliced
2 thin slices ginger, minced
2 dried red chilis, deseeded and chopped
½ tsp Sichuan peppercorns
6 spring onions, white portions only, cut into 3cm pieces
1 cup of roasted peanuts
Spring onion greens to garnish
ABOUT THE RECIPE
This classic Sichuan dish is a spicy stir-fry Chinese dish made with chicken, peanuts, vegetables, and chili peppers. Originating in the Sichuan Province of south-western China it includes Sichuan peppercorns.
1) Marinate the chicken. Mix together the chicken with all the marinade ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside for 30 minutes.
2) Mix together all the sauce ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
3) Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok over high heat. Sear the chicken, remove from the wok and set aside.
4) Turn the heat to low and add another tablespoon oil. Add the garlic, ginger, chilies, and Sichuan peppercorns. Cook for a minute or two until fragrant.
5) Add the chicken back to the pan along with the spring onions and turn up the heat to high. Stir-fry for a minute, add the sauce to the wok and stir-fry for another minute. The sauce should thicken very quickly.
6) Finally, add the peanuts. Give everything a final stir, sprinkle with spring onion greens and serve.
WANT TO LEARN? - GET IN TOUCH
Want to go the extra step? Why not attend one of our cookery schools?